11 April 2012

I'm an adult

So, two things I've been meaning to mention. I'll try to be brief because I'm quite good at rambling when it comes to free writing, which generally comes in handy for writing essays. But this is a blog?

Anyway, two things. This concerns growing up and maturing.

Having platonic friendships is important. And with age, I realize that it's possible. I just think it's a big step to be able to talk to/hang out with/confide in others without having weird feelings for them. Or maybe I'm just an emotionless freak. But no! It's important if I say so. Some of my favorite friends this year/semester are of the male persuasion, perhaps most, even. And they're very great. It's wonderful to hear new outlooks on topics and such, or hear ideas and thoughts on things I wouldn't usually think of.  Various perspectives are cool.

Secondably, this is perhaps more important, yes. More important because I say so, and..because it is.  To get along with everyone.  All sorts of people.  To be able to relate to and hold conversations with people different from yourself. And to accept them and appreciate them for who they are. So someone doesn't like the same music as me, etc, whatever, they're still probably really wonderful. And honestly, learning to think this way has taught me to like everyone. People always say things like, "I'm not quiet/shy/sad/etc., I just hate all of you," or things of that nature. And how childish isn't that? So you're thirty years old and you don't like the people in your office/workplace/what the hell ever building, it's just something you have to overcome. Anyway it's quite childish and it's a good thing to make friends with everyone, that's all. I have all sorts of friends interested in all sorts of things and they've taught me so much. I just don't think befriending everyone they meet is something very many people strive to do, but more should.

I've matured and changed so much this year alone. I mean, leaps and bounds worth. I look at my old self and cringe. I can't imagine how much different a semester abroad will make me. I'm going to grow so much. I'll read this a year from now and think of how silly I sound. Good. As if that isn't the point.