27 April 2014

ANXIETY

i'm focusing on better management of my anxiety. i think here (when i'm in the US) it becomes much more obvious to me. or perhaps it has gotten much more intense in these last months, though when i look back, i'm sure it was always there before, too...... maybe it is because i don't have a close group of friends that i feel comfortable doing anything or nothing at all with. every social interaction seems forced, strained, like i'm overexerting myself, like i'm forcing connection. like the situation revolves around my every action and hangs off each of my words. 

this week i will limit my caffeine and alcohol intake - surely this has some impact, because i've sworn by coffee this entire year - something to make me awake and focused and not irritable. but perhaps it's done more damage than good. i'm going to compliment people who i see on campus. i'm not going to avoid interaction in passing with others.  i'm not going to overcompensate in casual conversation.  i'm not going to plan every interaction i have word-for-word.  i'm not going to toss around a conversation i had for hours, even days, and wonder if i said the wrong thing - because, honestly, who's got time for that? and surely the other person doesn't either.  

i'm going to continue exercising every day - yoga - meditation - clear my head, become my body.  don't skip meals. stop weighing myself. don't focus on what i dislike about my figure. 

i can't keep living in this way - fearing even the most mundane, monotonous exchanges. every day life has become a struggle to breathe with so much pressure. all because of this anxiety that has suddenly crept up. and i know it stems from the stress that school generates, but it is crippling even the slightest chance i had at enjoying these last few months here. in my head, i get this idea that with these looming tasks before the end of the semester, if i don't complete them right now, or perfectly, i absolutely cannot function until they are completed. i keep a tedious list of every moment of every day and something is just sick about that - especially because i feel like i need that to keep me afloat.